Sunday, November 15, 2009

What's the etymology of the phrase "to levy taxes"?

Childish Booksmart Friend and I have had a long talk, in the way that long talks between friends tend to go. You start with one idea, then drift off to another, to finally digress your way til morning.

I learned that Jewish days go from three star rise at sundown to three star rise at sundown the day after to make sure that you are observing the proper amount of time, that there are two sets of "ten commandments," that all Jewish firstborns need to be bought from a member of the Levi tribe (someone whose last name is Cohen), that a lefthander can performed learned tasks with a right hand but performs self-taught tasks with a left hand, that most people naturally slant their paper when they write, that hydrogen bonds sometimes are more like 3.4 Ã…ngstroms when the hydrogens don't show up in the program (see, I was actually working!), and much much more.

And then it was quite late, so I went home and talked to Beautiful Music friend for some time, and am off to bed for real this time.

PS: GB, someone told me today that there were no or very few snakes in New Zealand (which could be possible), as well as a very large type of insect, name unknown, as long as a hand. Is that true?

2 comments:

Scriptor Senex said...

And I always thought it was from your native language - lever - to raise. So much of our language came through the Normans while a lot was Anglo-Saxon. So we have French based words for things the Normans had - like eating beef - while the peasants simply looked after the cows.
You live and learn as they say.

GB said...

There are no snakes in New Zealand (or if there are they haven't told anyone they are there).

The insect is a Giant Weta. They are as big as a hand. They can weigh 70 grams (about as much as a Song Thrush). I've never seen one alive. If I do I don't want it to be in my bedroom!