Thursday, May 14, 2009

Reaching Nirvana

You know what I really hate?

Those suggested readings at the bottom of posts. It must be Google's magic, but there is always at least one of the three with a title or picture that catches my attention. Before I even notice it, dozens of tabs are sitting in my toolbar, eagerly waiting to be read. Meanwhile, the minutes are ticking away on the clock, munching up the precious time I could have better spend doing... Doing what?

Oh, who am I kidding? I love the internet. I love blogging. I love reading blogs, I love finding blogs, I love going back through archives to read what I've missed, I love the humor and seriousness and humanity. I love reading slices of people's lives and realizing that we are all very similar the world over.

For the last seminar of the year, Man In Charge talked to us about achieving inner peace. About finding balance and accepting oneself.

As he talked, I thought about what I'd done so far. Inner peace was something I had been looking for, and had begun my journey towards.

When I moved to college, I decided to make peace with myself. To wipe the slate clean and begin building my adult world constructively.

Through the people I've met, the people I've re-met, the people I knew, the people I recreated positive relationships with, I've grown a lot.

The most important aspect of my travel, though, has been this blog. I've had somewhere to put my thought down, somewhere to argue logically, somewhere to rant illogically, somewhere to put my thoughts out to the world, somewhere to make peace with myself.

I haven't made it there yet. It's possible I may never make it. There are still things to be thought about, things to be pulled out of dark corners, things to be faced and dealt with... But I'm enjoying the journey. I'm enjoying the cleaning out of the cobwebby corners of my mind and the discourse with both myself and the wonderful and patient interlocutors I've come to meet during my travels.

How did all of this get started? Yesterday, I clicked a link at the bottom of one of julochka's posts, read the other post, clicked on another link, and decided that I've been thinking along the same lines--a slightly different kind of blogging, I am not a news columnist, but the same reasoning applies.

Blogging can help you reach Nirvana? Who would've thunk?

1 comment:

Graham Edwards said...

My blogs started diaries to help save me time and tell my friends on opposite sides of the earth what I was doing when I was away.

If only I'd known. Save time! A whole new world has opened up allowing me to give and to receive so many things. It has been a wonderful journey so far and may it long continue. What it has not done is 'save' me time.